Quantity: 10 seeds per pack.
Germination Rate: Min.60%.
This product is no longer in stock
Warning: Last items in stock!
No reward points for this product.
In Indian mythology, Arjun is supposed to be Sita's favourite tree. Native to India, the tree attracts lot of attention because of its association with mythology and its many uses. Arjuna is a large, evergreen tree, with a spreading crown and drooping branches. Grows up to 25 m height, and the bark is grey and smooth. Leaves are sub-opposite, 5-14 × 2-4.5 cm in size, oblong or elliptic oblong. Flowers small, white, and occur on long hanging recemes. Fruit is 2.3-3.5 cm long, fibrous woody, glabrous and has five hard wings, striated with numerous curved veins. Flowering time of the tree is April-July, in Indian conditions.
Medicinal uses: Every part of the tree has useful medicinal properties. Arjun holds a reputed position in both Ayurvedic and Yunani Systems of medicine. According to Ayurveda it is alexiteric, styptic, tonic, anthelmintic, and useful in fractures, uclers, heart diseases, biliousness, urinary discharges, asthma, tumours, leucoderma, anaemia, excessive prespiration etc. According to Yunani system of medicine, it is used both externally and internally in gleet and urinary discharges.
The Many Uses of Arjuna:
· Timber: Sapwood (peripheral wood in which living cells are active, and the sap still flows) is pinkish white; heartwood (core part which has no living cells, and in which the sap has stopped flowing) is dark brown, very hard, lustrous and coarse-textured. Timber is mainly used locally for carts, agricultural implements, water troughs, boats, tool handles etc.
· Fuel: Wood makes excellent firewood and charcoal, with calorific value of 5030 kcals/Kg (sapwood) and 5128 kcal/kg (heartwood).
· Tannin: The bark (22-24%) and fruit (7-20%) are sources of tanning and dyeing material.
· Sericulture: Arjuna leaves constitute one of the major feeds for the tropical tasar silkworm.
· Medicine: The bark is highly valued in Ayurveda as a cure for a range of ailments including heart-associated problems.